Thursday, May 14, 2009

old people make me cry

old people make me cry.
does anyone else have that problem?
yesterday i saw an old man with blood gushing down his face lying on the ground outside of Whole Foods. he probably fell; who knows what happened. all i know is the sight of him prone, so helpless in his faded blazer and khakis, just caused sadness to completely overtake me. what happened? did he trip on the curb? does he have anyone to take care of him? what are those people sitting over there eating their lunch thinking? why can't there be more people around to care? why do we have to live in a place where nobody ever interacts with anyone, where our circles of comfort need never be penetrated? why do i feel embarrassed and deeply sad right now? Is this a guilt stemming from my personal life, or is this society's guilt manifesting itself in me?
Why don't people just care more about the elderly?
all these thoughts happened in the span of a couple seconds. all of these questions, so important, will probably go unanswered, especially by those who desperately need to confront them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that is terrible. The mere thought of an old man lying there helplessly makes me cry. I sincerely hope he was helped and has a lovely, caring family to come home to.

Yesterday, I saw kirk douglas bestowing an academy award upon leo. As soon as I saw the old, frail man walking on crutches towards the camera, I couldn't help but cry for nearly half an hour. it's more and more difficult to deny that I could have some kind of illness causing me to emotioally die whenever I get to observe old people =D